Sunday, March 4, 2012

My PGCTHE Journey

Education technology in my course:
My PGCTHE Journey
I am Amtus Salam commonly known as Annie khan. I have done my masters in Arabic from the Punjab University, Lahore (Pakistan). I have an experience of teaching Arabic language in the same Dept. Currently I am working as the Head of Islamic Department in The Central School Dubai and have been teaching Islamic Studies there to the Higher Secondary since 2003.
When I first started teaching I used the traditional chalk and blackboard. Now with the passage of time, we have improved and are using multi media. I don’t have any special qualification in ICT, but I have a little knowledge of the softwares I use at school e.g. MS Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Publisher.
 When I joined the PGCTHE course and started this journey, Tony helped me a lot in learning  new things about  IT. I think that I got a great privilege to join it, because I want to learn about the new and modern ways of teaching. My main aim is to learn how to make my subject more interesting and attractive according for the students using modern technology. In the first module I learnt and implemented many new things in my classes and it was successful.
As for the tool which I like to use with my student is the blog. As my school is not very well equipped with IT facilities, I feel blogging is the best way to virtually interact with students and to make my teaching computerised.  The students can set up blogs at home and submit work over there.  I am having very high hopes with the PGCTHE course.
 Using technology in education is a great thing and looks very fascinating, but how much is it beneficial? How much do the students misuse the use of technology? And how much will the graph of learning increase? These are the main questions which arise in the minds
One question on which I ponder is that after a few generations when everything will be based on technology, students will learn and rely totally on technology.  However, information from the internet is not always reliable and the students might not be able to distinguish between the correct and incorrect information. Their teachers will not be able to guide them as they too will have gained info from the net.
   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,

    I enjoyed reading your post and am happy to see that you are getting something out of the PGCTHE.

    I found your last paragraph especially interesting. You are asking a classic question which doesn't really have an answer. I guess my opinion on the reliability of information is that we can never really be sure of the reliability of any information. Being printed in a book doesn't guarantee that it's better information than being printed anywhere else. Bad information or bad explanations in a textbook can lead to whole generations of people 'knowing' the same wrong thing.

    I think the best we can do as teachers is teach our students how to judge information and make good decisions about what to believe and what not to believe.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, glad to see you contributing and that you have an idea about the technology you will introduce to your students to try and improve their learning. I agree with Dean a very important skill both now and in the future is the ability to discern or critically evaluate the reliability and/or bias of the information we find on the internet. It reminds me of current pedagogy in history teaching where the emphasis is on the reliability and bias of historical information.

    ReplyDelete