Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My practical Teaching Theory

Every teacher has their own theory, which I think develops according to the situations and environment.
I try to encourage and develop thinking, reasoning and enthusiasm for the quest of knowledge among my students by providing them with appropriate situations and tasks which would help get their cognitive wheels turning. In my class, I divide the students in groups and assign each group to prepare a presentation on the topic to be taught in class.
After showing the presentation, the other groups ask each other questions and give at least one example from or regarding their own life, or relate to cross curricular links e.g. Allah’s Messenger said that falsehood will reduce sustenance. The students have a discussion on this, try to analyse it in depth, connect it with the social life and figure out in what ways the person’s life will be psychologically affected, and how these effects create biological problems.
Apart from this, I suggest to students to consult the library and gather information from the internet such as different quotes and teachings, some of which can be misconceptions and false traditions or true ones, which are commonly spread in our society and people have staunch believes in them. Students bring this information and share with each other during class and as their teacher, I rectify their wrong information and if I do not have knowledge of certain matter from their collection, I look it up myself also to help students attain the best and most authentic of knowledge. In this way my knowledge also increases.
I have observed that when we ask ‘why’, we compel the students’ power of thinking to increase. The word ‘how’ makes them reason and when their thoughts and perspectives are accepted open-mindedly instead of being negated abruptly, and they are encouraged to find out and scrutinise the history of their information, their zest for the quest for knowledge increases.
My point of view is that if we ask ‘why’ and ‘how’ more frequently, it will be beneficial for the students as it will be good for learning, honing out their intellect and imparting a positive zeal for knowledge in their lives.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

3 comments:

  1. 4 W Why ,When , Where and What are very powerful tools. If we use them properly in class students can have great learning opportunities as mentioned in your post.
    Using 4 W you can make sure students are paying attention in class and are involve in the discussion. It can provide us an idea about their preexisting knowledge. This preexisting knowledge can give us the starting point for our teaching. For example some students have already expertise and have basic knowledge so we can start with them at advance level where as some students have misconceptions or no knowledge so we have to start with them at basic level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree that asking questions such as "why" and "how" are essential to provoke critical thinking. In my experience, I tend to find that "how" questions shift thinking more interestingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Developing a critical curiosity and a disposition for questioning encourages a spirit of learning. I am currently developing platforms for assessed debate in my macroeconomics class and my students find it very difficult to empathise with opposing views or see different sides to an argument. Good post Annie :)

    ReplyDelete